OLED technology enables thin, efficient and bright displays and lighting panels. OLEDs are currently used in many mobile devices, some TVs and even in some lighting fixtures. OLED displays offer a better image quality compared to LCD or Plasma displays - and can also be made flexible and transparent.
The actual OLED materials are transparent, and indeed it's possible to fabricate transparent OLEDs (sometimes refereed to as T-OLEDs). Many OLED makers are developing transparent OLEDs, and we have seen prototypes up to 55" in size (the largest and most advanced transparent OLED prototypes have been demonstrated by Samsung and LG).
Small (up to 2.4" in size) transparent OLED displays have been in the market for several years - but applications have been few and far between. Currently only Neoview Kolon is producing standard T-OLED displays, but other makers can also provide custom transparent displays. In April 2013 we posted a hands-on review of a 2" 160x128 transparent PMOLED panel (which was produced by Futaba who no longer produces T-OLEDs).
Transparent OLED Lighting
As we said before, OLED technology can be used to make lighting panels - these are thin, area-lit and efficient lighting panels, that can be made transparent. Unlike displays, transparent OLED lighting panels have more immediate applications (embedded in windows, for example). In April 2012 we posted our hands-on review with a transparent Tabola OLED lighting panel sample.
OLED-Info's Transparent OLEDs Market Report
The Transparent OLED Market Report explains:
- Transparent OLED properties and advantages
- What are the main challenges towards transparent OLEDs
- What kind of transparent OLED displays are currently on the market
- The transparent OLED lighting market
The report package also provides a complete list of transparent OLED developers and makers and their current (and future) products, and a lot more. Read more here!
The latest Transparent OLED News:
- LG announce plans to construct a new $8.7 billion OLED fab in Paju to make OLED TV and flexible OLED panels
- Updates from LG Display - brighter OLED TVs next year, rollable and transparent gigantic wall displays in the future
- Planar launches the 55" FHD LookThru transparent OLED display for $14,995
- OLED-Info's flexible, automotive, microdisplays and transparent OLED market reports updated to November 2015
- Everdisplay demonstrates a 5.57" transparent OLED
- OLED-Info interviews LG Display on the company's latest OLED development and long-term goals
- Samsung Display to start making transparent OLEDs for home appliances?