Poland-based Ergis Group has developed a new solution for OLED panel encapsulation. The noDiffusion film, developed in collaboration with Perovskite PV developer Saule Technologies can be adopted as both the flexible substrate and the encapsulation layer for OLED devices.
The Ergis noDiffusion film offers high barrier properties, high level of optical transmittance and a low level of light scattering. This enables the production of OLED displays with extended lifetimes, efficiency and image properties. The noDiffusion film can also be used in the production of solar panels to increase panel efficiency and lifetimes.
Ergis says that the biggest advantage of its new film solution is the lower manufacturing costs, as the films already include an embedded encapsulation layer and could optionally include an embedded electrode layer.
OLED makers could use the Ergis noDiffusion film in two ways:
- Standard sheet to sheet process, in which the film can be laminated onto a glass substrate and then go through the standard OLED production process as the OLED substrate. A second noDiffusion film can be used as the encapsulation layer of the OLED device.
- The film can also be used in a next-generation roll to roll process, in which there is no need for a carrier glass and OLED deposition can be performed directly on the noDiffusion film.
Ergis noDiffusion film offers best-in-class barrier properties:
- Oxygen transmission rate (OTR) level 10-4 cm3/m2 per day
- Water vapor transmission rate (WVTR) level 10-6 g/m2 per day
Other properties include:
- Excellent optical properties with over 90% light transmittance at the visible range
- Weather resistivity, film can be exposed to outdoor conditions for very long period of time
- The option of depositing a continuous transparent conductive layer with sheet resistance of 15 ohm/square. This layer can be further patterned by chemical etching or laser ablation to provide required electrode shapes. This step can lower production costs for flexible OLED lighting and other devices.
For more information, see ergisnodiffusion.com