Motorola Labs, the applied research arm of Motorola, Inc., today unveiled a working 5-inch color video display prototype based on proprietary Carbon Nanotube (CNT) technology - a breakthrough technique that could create large, flat panel displays with superior quality, longer lifetimes and lower costs than current offerings.
Motorola's industry-first working prototype demonstrates:
- Operational full color 5" video section of a 1280 x 720, 16:9, 42-inch HDTV
- High quality brightness
- Bright, vivid colors using standard Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) TV phosphors
- Display panel thickness of 3.3 millimeters (about 1/8th of an inch)
- Low cost display drive electronics (similar to LCD, much lower than Plasma)
- Display characteristics meet or exceed CRTs, such as fast response time, wide viewing angle, wide operation temperature.