Last week we reported that Philips is looking for licensees for their OLED display IP portfolio. Today IPXI (Intellectual Property Exchange International, a financial exchange for licensing and trading of IP rights) gave some more information about the contract.
Philips has a portfolio of more than 600 patents (including 225 granted globally) that are all related to AMOLED displays, and represents nearly two decades of research. IPXI are offering Unit License Right (ULR) contracts - and each unit provides the right to manufacture, use, sell, offer to sell or import five square meters of an OLED display for application in any display screen device.
The patents address several high-level issues in the production of OLED displays, and provide technologies that enable:
- greater output uniformity among pixels on a panel
- increased panel reliability and length of service
- more scalable designs to permit increasingly large panel sizes
- greater image quality perceived by viewers
- superior panel manufacturability
- reduced power consumption
- reduced device costs