- Home » OLED history: A ‘guided tour’ of OLED highlights from...
Article last updated on: Apr 02, 2022
- December - Toshiba shelves plans to sell OLED TVs in 2009/10
- December - Samsung says will have 31" AMOLED TV prototype in CES, Commercial 40" TVs in 2010, and 14" panels in 2008
- November - Novaled reaches 100,000h lifetime for a highly efficient white OLED
- November - The world's first OLED TV, the Sony XEL-1 (11") starts to sell in Japan for 1,800$
- October - Sony announces the XEL-1, the first ever OLED TV (11")
- October - Samsung SDI and LG expand AMOLED production lines, fulfill orders
- October - CMEL begin shipment of ~2" AMOLED panels, showcases 4.3" and 7.6" panels
- October - Seiko Epson expanded OLED lifetime, to start making OLED panels (8" to 21")
- October - Samsung SDI shows OLED roadmap and claims 21" monitors in 2009, 42" HD TVs by 2010 and OLED lighting 'soon'
- August - Sumitomo plans OLED TVs by 2009
- July - LG Electronics moves into AMOLED mass production
- July - CMEL sampling 2.4" AMOLED panels
- July - Sumitomo acquires CDT for 285M$
- May - Mitsubishi to enter OLED market
- May - Novaled Achieving Groundbreaking Lifetimes For fluorescent PIN OLEDs
- May - Sony shows Flexible OLEDs
- May - Samsung SDI to make OLED TVs in 2009
- April - Sony to sell 11" OLED TVs in 2007
- April - TMDisplay to sell 21" OLED TVs in 2009
- April - Toshiba plans to launch 30" OLED TVs in 2009 (Update: in December 2007 Toshiba shelved those plans)
- March - KDDI starts selling a phone with a 2.4" AMOLED display.
- March - Konica Minolta and GE to jointly develop OLED light products.
- February - Sony begins production of AMOLED panels.
- January - Sony showcases 27" and 11" OLED TVs at CES. Says might start production at 2008.
- December - CDT IPOs, lists on NASDAQ.
- November - OLED displays with 50,000h operating lifespan from URT.
- November - Seiko Epson will commercialize OLED TVs by 2007.
- October - LG.Philips develops 20-inch OLED display.
- September - Sony Starts Mass Production of Organic EL Displays, and released first a new clie PDA with a 3.8in 480 x 320 OLED screen.
- July - OLED-Info is on-line, the web's first OLED community site.
- June - Toppan to volume produce large-size OLED panels.
- May - Seiko Epson unveils first 40" colour OLED display.
- May - Universal Display Corporation Announces Record-Breaking Power Efficiencies for its Phosphorescent White OLED Technology.
- May - Taiwan's AU Begins Mass Production of Organic EL Panels.
- May - Universal Display Corporation Unveils Ground breaking Flexible OLED Prototype on Metallic Substrate.
- April - Teco Optronics to invest NT$300 million to build new PM OLED plant.
- April - RiT Display ships mobile phone OLED sub-displays to Samsung, says paper.
- April - Seiko Epson Reveals 12.5-Inch Organic EL Panel for Large TVs.
- April - RiT Display shipping OLED panels to Motorola.
- March - GE Global Research Breaks Two World Records For OLEDs As A Lighting Device. Demo Lighting Panel is Biggest and Most Efficient Ever Created.
- March - NEC drops its OLED business .
- March - Chi Mei Optoelectronics Corp. (CMO) has announced a fully functional prototype of a 20-inch full-color OLED display - the largest Amorpheous Si TFT.
- February - Philips 639 mobile phone applies PolyLED technology in unique 'Magic Mirror' display.
- January - Opto Tech to invest NT$4.5 billion in four new OLED lines in 2004.