OLED displays use organic materials that emit light when electricity is applied. OLEDs enable emissive, bright, thin, flexible and efficient displays. OLEDs are set to replace LCDs in all display applications - from small displays to large TV sets.
Samsung's Super-AMOLED displays, announced in January 2010, are AMOLED displays with an integrated touch function. In a Super AMOLED display, a touch-sensor is placed over the display (on-cell). The thickness of the touch sensor is just 0.001 mm and this allows the screen to provide better images and to have great visibility even in direct sunlight (Samsung says that they perform 20% better than regular touch AMOLED outdoors).
Super-AMOLED use a PenTile matrix
Samsung's Super-AMOLED displays use a Pentile matrix sub-pixel design. That means that the Green sub-pixel is shared by two pixels and the display has only 2 sub-pixels per real 'pixel' compared to the classic RGB matrix design (or Real-Stripe). You can see a PenTile matrix vs a Real-Stripe one on the images below (the PenTile is on the right). Newer Super AMOLED displays use a different PenTile matrix (for example a Diamond Pixel pattern).
Super-AMOLED: the best mobile touch display
Super AMOLED displays look great. The display experts at DisplayMate say that the latest Super AMOLED displays are the best mobile displays ever - surpassing LCDs in every metric (expect, perhaps the price).
Super AMOLED HD and Super AMOLED Plus
In the past, when an HD resolution on a smartphone was still novel, Samsung termed these dispalys as Super AMOLED HD (and sometimes HD Super AMOLED). Today, as most high-end displays sport a Full-HD (or even QHD) resolution, Samsung no longer adds the HD before or after the Super AMOLED.
In January 2011 Samsung announced a different Super AMOLED display called Super AMOLED Plus. These displays regular sub-pixel design and not a PenTile one - which means 50% more sub-pixels and a clearer display. Super AMOLED Plus has been used in some devices in the past, but currently all of Samsung's newer Super AMOLED display adopt a Pentile architecture.
The latest Super AMOLED News:
- Samsung's Super-AMOLED Galaxy Tab S2 to ship September 2nd
- DisplayMate: the Note 5 and GS6 edge+ offer significant display improvements over the Note 4 and GS6
- ZTE announces two new AMOLED devices: a smartphone and a smartwatch
- Samsung announces the Galaxy Tab S2 tablets with new Super AMOLED displays
- Hands on review with Samsung's Galaxy Note Edge
- Samsung expects record shipments for the GS6, may not be able to meet demand for the GS6 Edge
- Samsung's Super AMOLED tablets are now offered at a $100 discount (till tomorrow)